Friday, August 1, 2008

Update on my mom...

I just went to my parents house and saw my mom. There is some kind of peace that comes when you can see your mom -- especially when you know she is sick. I haven't seen or talked to them all day long, so when I received a call from my sister earler telling me that an ambulance had to come because my mom stopped breathing, I needed to see her with my own eyes. I went in and chatted with her and my dad, and learned alot. She has shingles in her head. It has clamped onto 3 nerves in her head. (I am terrible with medical lingo, so I really have NO IDEA what I am talking about...) But, she looks like an injured person on CSI...The left side of her face and scalp is really swollen, she has sores all over and puss is leaking out of them. The doctor said it is sort of like a chemical burn. Her skin can't handle light otherwise she feels like it is on fire. She can't even have the television on because the light from it burns. She can't see except for a little out of her right eye. Her left eye isn't even remotely close to being able to open. Talking hurts, but she is great a listening. She currently is just staying in her room with the lights off and listening to music. She feels very nauseated, and can't eat real food. She tried drinking ensure, but it made her need to throw up. Her eye was looking like it was going to pop out, but the swelling has really gone down -- especially in the last four hours or so. My dad said that four hours ago, he was extremely worried. This is the sickest she has ever been.
She is on a new anti viral medication. The one she was on earlier, she thinks, is what caused her to feel as though she was in cardiac arrest. (Rewind to earlier today)...She apparently got really bad, and couldn't breath,and my dad called 911, and the ambulance came. She thought that she was in cardiac arrest. They checked her out and did stuff (I really don't know what they did...) But, then they went to a different doctor than they had before and my dad insisted that they give her different meds. Reluctantly they did. They also checked her oxygen level to make sure her heart and everyting were okay. Apparently everything is hunky-dory.
Now we just need to be in prayer over the meds she is taking, that she son't have any reaction to them, that she will heal QUICKLY (they say that this can last a month or so), and that she won't have nay eye damage, and that she can REST and eat. I think that we are going to start a meal sign up sheet for people to bring food to my dad. My sister is taking food tomorrow, and Diane is taking food on Sunday, and I will probably do something on Monday, but we will probably do something every other day for a few weeks.
Gary and Diane Kendall came over to see her tonight. She really liked hearing the conversations we were all having. Diane is going to come over and read to her for a little while tomorrow since she can't read (and that is her favorite thing to do...) My mom has been on the phone with her dear friend, Paula, who went through this exact thing not too long ago, so she is sharing secrets with my mom.
My dad was praying over who is supposed to teach on Sunday (he teaches our Young Married Sunday School Class), and he said that the Lord told him that he is supposed to, so Reed will be teaching on Sunday. My brother, Mike, is going to come over and take care of my mom.
There is a great story I should tell about how the Lord provided a great seat for my mom on the plane ride home (I mentioned it a little in a previous blog), but I need to put my kids in bed, so maybe you can hear it later!

No comments: