Monday, August 24, 2009

The Shower

Well, I have been too busy to really write anything, and I miss it!
This summer Eric's 93 year old grandmother moved in with us! It has been a great adventure to say the least. It's not always easy, but I know it's the right thing for now. She has demintia, and being 93, not much works that great to begin with.

The first awkward experience occured within a few hours of her arriving. (I very quickly learned that I NEEDED to get the locks fixed on the doors). I was taking a shower at midnight, because that's the only time I could find a little break. As I was showering I heard Maw Maw scutter in and make her way toward the toilet. Knowing that SHE didn't know I was in the shower I decided to play the quiet game and hope that she didn't hear the water running. Well, she did, and then she got curious, and opened the curtain on me! I was mortified, but then quickly comforted in realizing that no sooner had she opened the curtain and then turned away, she forgot. Then she decided to go to the bathroom. I, again, decided to play the quiet game, and just wait... 10 minutes later... she flushed...
Now, I don't know what the water in YOUR house does, but in ours, if you flush, then ALLLL the cold water leaves the shower, making it nothing short of BOILING!
So there I was... stuck... I couldn't jump out of the shower because that would cause her a terrible fright and I didn't want her to die of a heart attack from me leaping and screaming out of the shower in an unsightly state. So I took it.
I stood as close to the wall as I could, but I must tell you that the shower head is VERY good at covering the ENTIRE SHOWER thourougly... I never knew it took SO LONG for that toilet to STOP filling!! Then to top it off, Maw Maw turned off the light, leaving it darker than pitch.
I started yelling in a whisper -- do you know how to do that? I am VERY GOOD at it aparently! Eric came to the rescue, and couldn't keep a smirk off his face.
Then we decided that the next day we would FIX the doorknob, so that it would LOCK!!

THE NEXT DAY...

Emily closed the bathroom door and locked it leaving no one inside to open it.

Maw Maw locked HERSELF in the bathroom.

After spending 20 minutes on trying to open the FIRST locked door fro Emily, and dreading the thought of doing it again, I decided that it may be best to break every single lock in the house and just forget privacy all together.

No comments: